[yocto] Understanding "Package groups"

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jul 1 13:34:15 PDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

You probably have found the explanation on package groups in the reference
manual [1].

Package groups are recipes with the sole purpose to create dependencies to
simplify image creation. A package group recipe bundles multiple packages
together and then instead of having to explicitly specify each package in
the IMAGE_INSTALL variable you can simply specify the package group name.

Package group recipes look like this (from the manual):

DESCRIPTION = "My Custom Package Groups"

     inherit packagegroup

     PACKAGES = "\
         packagegroup-custom-apps \
         packagegroup-custom-tools \
         "

     RDEPENDS_packagegroup-custom-apps = "\
         dropbear \
         portmap \
         psplash"

     RDEPENDS_packagegroup-custom-tools = "\
         oprofile \
         oprofileui-server \
         lttng-control \
         lttng-viewer"

     RRECOMMENDS_packagegroup-custom-tools = "\
         kernel-module-oprofile"

Like any recipe they have a description. They inherit the
packagegroup.bbclass. A package group recipe can define multiple package
groups in the PACKAGES variable. For each package group listed in PACKAGES
you will then need to specify the packages that actually go into them with
conditional RDEPENDS_<packagegroupname> variables.

Package groups are only relevant for the YP build system. They do not
create package grouping for the package manager that you are using for your
target. However, if you select a package group from HOB then all of the
packages specified in that group should be installed in your target's
rootfs by YP.

Rudi

[1]
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage-customtasks