[yocto] Understanding "Package groups"

Stefan Hofmann stefan.hofmann at mobserve.de
Tue Jul 1 10:05:45 PDT 2014

Hi,

I made my first steps with yocto and everything worked fine so far. But
now I am struggling with "package groups". What I basically want, is a
image for a base system, which allows me to install additional packages
over the air with opkg. In my imagination package groups are something
like preselected packages, which need to be installed at once similar
like it is handled in Debian for X11-support for example. Is this right
? I have built core-image-base for testing purposes and tried to figure
out the dependencies by using the Hob tool. It says that bash will be
installed and the group "base/shell" is responsible for that. However it
is not installed, only ash and I cannot find a package group
"package-group-base-shell" in the receipes. It does however exist in the
work directory. So now I am somewhat confused.

Regards,
Stefan