[yocto] Using MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS to install wifi Firmware

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 10:45:30 PST 2014

I think my response yesterday was slightly premature...

If I understand correctly, packages of the form
'kernel-firmware-<xxxx>' are provided by the kernel recipe for any
firmware that is licensed such that it can be included directly with
the kernel source i.e. in the <linux>/firmware directory.  A superset
of this firmware is available from the linux-firmware repository with
different licensing.  Firmware can be pulled into an image with the
addition of a 'linux-firmward-<xxxx>' package.

It seems though that adding a 'linux-firmware-<xxxx>' package pulls in
the basic 'linux-firmware' package that includes firmware binaries
already shipped with the kernel.

If this is correct, I see two options:
1. 'linux-firmware-<xxxx>' should only pull in the explicit firmware
specified, or
2. if 'linux-firmware' is getting pulled in, the kernel recipe
shouldn't populate any firmware

Am I on the right track?

--Ash