[yocto] Python3 ptest and unittest

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Sun Feb 23 13:50:47 PST 2014

On 14-02-22 08:07 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
> On 21 February 2014 16:08, Randy MacLeod <randy.macleod at windriver.com> wrote:
>> On 14-02-18 04:27 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just thrown together a couple of things which may be useful.
>>> They're currently slightly hackish but I could improve them and share
>>> them/submit them as patches if wanted:
>>>
>>> 1) I've wrote a custom python test runner which runs test suites and
>>> outputs the format expected by ptest natively instead of needing the
>>> sed magic in
>>> "openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python/run-ptest".
>>> I'm using it in my own project, might move the opkg test suite over to
>>> it if I have time, and it might be useful for any other python test
>>> suites. It's <50 lines of python :)
>>>
>>> 2) I've wrote a script which patches this test runner into python3's
>>> own testsuite then runs the suite. You don't even to patch the
>>> Makefile from the python source tree and install it (as in the python
>>> recipe in openembedded-core). It should run on anything with python3
>>> installed with the python standard library (as the standard library
>>> already includes all the tests). This may be a good option for adding
>>> ptest support to the python3 recipe - it'd just be a single 50-line
>>> 'run-ptest' script written in python.
>>>
>>> Does that sound interesting to anyone else?
>>
>> Yes, this seems to be very useful. Can you send a patch for review?
>>

> I've never worked with the ptest system before but I'm giving it a
> go... I'm mostly relying on https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Ptest
> for info.
>
> It does look like the python3 test suite crashes with out-of-memory
> errors on qemux86 with the default configuration of 256 MB RAM. I've
> bumped it up to 1 GB and it seems to be working.

I've seen similar problems and dealt with it the same way.
Some tests deliberately try to cause an OOM and I assert that
they don't belong in ptest runs.

> Is there any way to
> note this in the ptest system so that this test suite is skipped if
> there isn't enough memory?

Not that I'm aware of. Add to docs?

> Also, I'm getting several failures within the testsuite which I'm not
> seeing when I run it on my desktop. Do we keep data on whether each
> ptest package is expected to pass or has known failures?

Not that I know of. We should.

That's something that I've been meaning to do but I won't get to it
for until another project is done so don't wait for me. :)

../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod. SMTS, Linux, Wind River
Direct: 613.963.1350