[yocto] Python3 ptest and unittest

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Sat Feb 22 17:07:24 PST 2014

On 21 February 2014 16:08, Randy MacLeod <randy.macleod at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 14-02-18 04:27 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
>>
>> I've just thrown together a couple of things which may be useful.
>> They're currently slightly hackish but I could improve them and share
>> them/submit them as patches if wanted:
>>
>> 1) I've wrote a custom python test runner which runs test suites and
>> outputs the format expected by ptest natively instead of needing the
>> sed magic in
>> "openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python/run-ptest".
>> I'm using it in my own project, might move the opkg test suite over to
>> it if I have time, and it might be useful for any other python test
>> suites. It's <50 lines of python :)
>>
>> 2) I've wrote a script which patches this test runner into python3's
>> own testsuite then runs the suite. You don't even to patch the
>> Makefile from the python source tree and install it (as in the python
>> recipe in openembedded-core). It should run on anything with python3
>> installed with the python standard library (as the standard library
>> already includes all the tests). This may be a good option for adding
>> ptest support to the python3 recipe - it'd just be a single 50-line
>> 'run-ptest' script written in python.
>>
>> Does that sound interesting to anyone else?
>
> Yes, this seems to be very useful. Can you send a patch for review?

I've never worked with the ptest system before but I'm giving it a
go... I'm mostly relying on https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Ptest
for info.

It does look like the python3 test suite crashes with out-of-memory
errors on qemux86 with the default configuration of 256 MB RAM. I've
bumped it up to 1 GB and it seems to be working. Is there any way to
note this in the ptest system so that this test suite is skipped if
there isn't enough memory?

Also, I'm getting several failures within the testsuite which I'm not
seeing when I run it on my desktop. Do we keep data on whether each
ptest package is expected to pass or has known failures?

Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk