[yocto] Parallel builds with common shared state cache

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Feb 5 06:34:09 PST 2014

On 4 February 2014 18:03, Brian Karcz <briank at russound.com> wrote:
> I’m curious is there are any issues with using a common shared state cache
> directory, outside the build directory, for multiple different image builds
> that also might be running in parallel to each other? I’m in the process of
> setting up a new build server and wanted to make sure this wasn’t an invalid
> configuration before proceeding.

I'm not positive that there are locks around the sstate cache
(although there arguably should be if there isn't), but the worst-case
scenario is that one build tries to extract a partial sstate archive,
fails because it's truncated, and does the build itself.  It's
probably safe enough: my personal AB shares a sstate between its own
builders and my own builds without any issues.

Ross