[yocto] Parallel builds with common shared state cache

Brian Karcz briank at RUSSOUND.COM
Tue Feb 4 10:03:05 PST 2014

Hi,

I'm curious is there are any issues with using a common shared state cache directory, outside the build directory, for multiple different image builds that also might be running in parallel to each other? I'm in the process of setting up a new build server and wanted to make sure this wasn't an invalid configuration before proceeding.

We generally build three different images that are all based on the same machine type. Our existing builds, which are still based on Edison, all have their shared state cache dir set to /opt/sstate-cache. While I'm pretty confident there are no issues having the three projects point at the same directory from a content perspective, are there any problems with parallel builds in separate build trees referencing the same shared state cache area at potentially the same time? Are there any general restrictions to using a common shared state cache directory?

Thanks,
Brian