[yocto] SRCREV for BBLAYERS

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Mon Feb 3 07:40:42 PST 2014

On 02/03/14 10:20, Christian Ege wrote:
>> But now I've got another question:
>> Is there any possibility to submit something like a feature request for this?
>> And is there a (realistic) chance that this feature gets implemented?
>> If so, where should this request go? To the bitbake-devel list?
> I am not sure If I got your point. If you intend to handle different
> versions of layers you are using you may can use the setup-scripts
> from Angstrom
> They do use an "layer manager"

Some projects which use git face this "how to manage sets of git
repositories" issue[1]. Unless a project's sources are all contained in
one monster git repository, there will always be some sort of need for
management. The understanding is that not every single commit point in
every repository will work with every other commit point in all the
other repositories making up a project. There will be "way-points" where
things work and/or are tested, and all other combinations are to be used
at one's own risk ;-)

As pointed out above, angstrom has its own system. Other projects (e.g.
gumstix[2] and fsl[3]) make use of "repo". Another option is "git
submodules".

Whether a mechanism like this would be, could be, or should be added to
OE? That's a tough one. Personally I would lean towards "yes". I think
it would make OE much easier to use (especially for newcomers) if the
combinations of layers and which commits to use from those layers were
specified as part of a, say, DISTRO's metadata. On the other hand others
would object simply because this is a not-uncommon git issue that is
already solved by existing, external tools.

Best regards,
    Trevor

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/816619/managing-many-git-repositories
[2]