[yocto] is there a list of yocto-supported dev kits somewhere?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Aug 29 09:01:44 PDT 2014

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, Rudolf Streif wrote:

> I think this is a great idea and I volunteer to help with the effort.
>
>   that is kinda what i was after. i realize it's an open-ended
> request, but it would be great if there was a list of "recommended"
> dev kits representing various architectures/processors that people new
> to YP could purchase for experimentation, *knowing* that those dev
> kits had a YP build that would work out of the box. not necessarily
> technically complete, but that it would just boot and let them start
> playing.
>
> The "work out of the box" part is the tricky one. Unfortunately,
> many YP BSP layers do not include instructions on what to do after
> the build has completed. If you don't know what to do with boot
> loader and kernel images, flattened device tree files, root file
> system archives and images then you are at a loss. Commonly the
> boards also require a special boot media partitioning and the like.

  exactly true, but without that final bit of information, i contend
that the YP build is utterly useless unless the developer is told what
to do with the final image objects.

> While this type of info should be in the BSP readme files I think it
> would be good to have step by step instructions that gets one from
> setting up the build environment to building and creating bootable
> media for each board.

  and those step-by-step instructions don't need to be terribly
verbose. remember, you're not trying to explain how to use YP; you're
simply summarizing what it takes to get it running on a particular dev
kit. all of that should fit on a single page at most.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca