[yocto] mpc8315e-rdb is probably a poor choice as powerpc example...

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Thu Aug 14 07:38:23 PDT 2014

On 08/14/2014 10:05 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Bob Cochran <yocto at mindchasers.com> wrote:
>> As most of you know, the mpc8315e-rdb is the powerpc reference platform in
>> meta-yocto-bsp.  This is old technology and not a good representative of
>> QorIQ.
>
> We've been working with FSL to find a suitable replacement for some time, and
> the discussions were happening in the sprint, but stalled for the summer months.
>

>> I suggest something from the P or T family be used.  The P1010RDB is
>> probably a good choice, but others may prefer an SMP machine.
>
> The choice is equally about the machine and about the ability to purchase the
> target at a reasonable price. We don't use hard to find, or expensive boards.
>
> So if you do have specific suggestions, and purchase information, send it along
> and it can be rolled into the ongoing discussions.

Thank you for the reply Bruce.  I suggested the P1010RDB because we have
one of these (older rev), and we have found few problems working
periodically with Poky & related master branches over the past couple of
years.  We also test the mainline kernel on it - typically with success.
  In other words, it's basically been stable.

It's $545 @ Digikey:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&keywords=P1010RDB

It's a nice system based on e500v2 with 3 GE ports, SATA, USB, FLASH,
and SD card support ( note - it does have a funky address mux / switch
on board that limits the use of all peripherals at the same time).

The downside is it's starting to get a little old, so Freescale may
prefer to point to a T series QorIQ.  I just think it will be important
to stay away from a DPAA-based device, due to the complexity and my
perception that some of the related code isn't yet in the public domain
& may not get there for some time.

And as I stated before, an SMP processor may be a better choice along
with showing a hypervisor.  It all depends on what's important to Yocto,
Freescale, and their customers.

Bob