[yocto] Is Python Tkinter available for Yocto

Jens Lucius jenslucius at freenet.de
Tue Apr 1 11:59:27 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am a little bit confused if Python Tkinter is included as a package
for python in the Yocto system.

Pro:
- The output of "bitbake -e python | grep ^PACKAGES=" shows a package
called "python-tkinter."
-  In
"tmp/work/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/python/2.7.3-r0.3/packages-split"
there is a folder called python-tkinter

Contra:
- There is a patch for python recipe called
"avoid_warning_about_tkinter.patch" which states "_tkinter module needs
tk module along with tcl. tk is not yet integrated in yocto so we skip
the check for this module. Avoid a warning by not  adding this module to
missing variable."
- I have included in my recipe: "python-core python-tkinter" which gave
no error, but no tkinter installed and I have tried including
"python-core python-modules" which gave me a lot of python modules, but
still no tkinter. (tried "from Tkinter import *" which gave an error and
no tkinter in /usr/lib/python2.7)

Do I manually need to install another package? Is it included or not? Do
I need to do my own recipe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jens