[yocto] Mono 2.10.8.1 (meta-mono) Corelib not in sync with runtime...

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Fri Sep 20 16:44:58 PDT 2013

I am trying to get Mono 2.10 working on a core-image-basic running on
qemux86 machine. I am using pokay-dylan-9.0.2 on a Debian 6.0.7 system for
the builds and been able to build and run images without issue. Yet, when
I went to add the meta-mono layer from git.yoctoporject.org, I started
running into problems.

I first had to add these lines to the mono_2.10.8.1.bb recipe, and move
the mono-2.10.8.1/ folder into the files/ folder to get the build to
succeed. I also added the EXTRA_OECONF line to disable X support (don't
want winforms, just Mono for console and services).

EXTRA_OECONF += "--without-x --without-moonlight --without-libgdiplus"
FILES_${PN} += "${datadir}/mono-2.0"
FILES_${PN} += "${datadir}/libgc-mono"
INSANE_SKIP_${PN} = "arch dev-so debug-files ldflags"

After that, I built and booted an image with the 'mono' package installed
and was able to run Mono simply:

$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.8.1 (tarball Fri Sep 20 14:23:43 MDT 2013)
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin, Inc and Contributors.
www.mono-project.com
	TLS:           normal
	SIGSEGV:       normal
	Notifications: epoll
	Architecture:  x86
	Disabled:      none
	Misc:          debugger softdebug
	LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
	GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)

Yet when I actually tried to run a Mono application (simple console only
application already compiled on another system), I got this error:

Corlib not in sync with this runtime: expected corlib version 96, found 100.
Loaded from: /usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll
Download a newer corlib or a newer runtime at http://www.go-mono.com/daily.

It looks like this error indicates some sort mismatch in Mono, as if one
was mixing between a release and a development version. But there is no
Mono on my build machine to cause confusion, everything came from the Mono
recipe. Further, given the issues I encountered above in getting Mono
built, it appears this recipe has not been tested with more recent version
of Yocto.

Is there a more current Mono recipe available? Does anyone have any ideas
on what in this Mono recipe could cause that error? Or do I get to dig in
and untangle the Mono build? Thanks!