[yocto] Bitbake on live (uncommitted) code

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 13 03:51:51 PDT 2013

Hi Hans,

On Friday 13 September 2013 12:04:48 Hans Beckérus wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 September 2013 17:23:53 Chris Larson wrote:

> >> See externalsrc.bbclass.
> >
> > Also the manual section that talks about using it:
> >
> > http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#buildi
> > ng-software-from-an-external-source
>
> Does this in any way replace the use of the SDK toolchain? Since that
> is what I would be using (and am using) for external development. We
> only use bitbake for the integration stages (pkg upgrades/rootfs/SDK
> builds etc.).
> After a package works and is in some sort of ready state we add it to
> a git repo and write a recipe for it. Maybe that is an alternative
> too?

It's just another tool you can use for development if you already have a
recipe for the software you're developing, or are going to write one. As I
mentioned in another thread, the SDK is mostly there to help developers who
want to do their application development without the need to interact with the
tool that builds the entire OS (possibly instead from within an IDE).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton