[yocto] Bitbake on live (uncommitted) code

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 03:04:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 September 2013 17:23:53 Chris Larson wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Brad Litterell <brad at evidence.com> wrote:
>> > I've grown to really appreciate bitbake for compiling code from a myriad
>> > of sources, however, what is the recommended course for source I am
>> > currently doing live development on?  My code base lives in a couple of
>> > git
>> > repos that do NOT map one-to-one with recipes and I don't really want to
>> > store the source mixed in with the recipe meta data anyway, nor do I want
>> > to be forced to commit it to git just to do a build.
>> >
>> >  Currently I run a pre-bitbake script that creates a tarball out of the
>> >
>> > source, but that is easy to forget and makes building a new image a two
>> > step proces.  Since it is a build step I'd like it to be done by bitbake.
>> >
>> >  Is there a recommended way to go about this?
>>
>> See externalsrc.bbclass.
>
> Also the manual section that talks about using it:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#building-software-from-an-external-source

Does this in any way replace the use of the SDK toolchain? Since that
is what I would be using (and am using) for external development. We
only use bitbake for the integration stages (pkg upgrades/rootfs/SDK
builds etc.).
After a package works and is in some sort of ready state we add it to
a git repo and write a recipe for it. Maybe that is an alternative
too?

Thanks.
Hans