[yocto] Server specs for a continuous integration system

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Tue Sep 3 20:02:10 PDT 2013

On 03/09/13 20:55, Elvis Dowson wrote:

>>> I use a 3770K i7 quad-core processor, 16GB RAM, with a liquid cooled
>>> solution running at 3.8GHz. I've overclocked the CPU to 4.5GHz, but I
>>> end up shaving only 2 minutes off build times, so I just run it at 3.8GHz.
>>>
>>> A core-image-minimal build takes around 22 minutes for me, for a Xilinx
>>> ZC702 machine configuration (Dual ARM Cortex A9 processor + FPGA).
>>
>> Is it a full build from scratch (cross-toolchain, native stuff, etc...)? If so, it's quite impressive to me!
>
> Yes, it is a full build from scratch, and the core-image-minimal
> builds the cross tool chain, kernel and root file system. A full kernel
> build from scratch completes in under 1 or 2 minutes, can't remember
> exactly, will let u know in a while. This represents approximately 1600
> tasks. A full meta-toolchain-sdk task takes about 40 minutes and
> executes around 3600 tasks. I'll send some precise figures later on.

Very interesting figures indeed. Not sure about the water cooling stuff,
does that come in "standard", or did you build and tweak your server
yourself? Up to now, I was thinking about an off-the-shelf server, maybe
the best approach is to build it myself (actually get some people here
build it themselves!)

I would have another question concerning the CPU, Does anyone know how
the Xeon E5 compare to the i7 in this context (build server and yocto)?

Regards,
Chris