[yocto] Embedded Linux with Xenomai support

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Mon Sep 2 20:20:54 PDT 2013

On 02/09/13 03:07, Robert Berger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/30/2013 07:56 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>
>>> Is there any Linux distribution based on the Yocto project that lets
>>> me configure my embedded kernel with Xenomai? If not, has anybody got
>>> any experinece in adding Xenomai to the Yocto project?
>>
>> I am not aware of anyone using Xenomai with Yocto to date (although that
>> doesn't mean nobody is). Our Real-Time focus has been on the PREEMPT_RT
>> Linux kernel, which we do have recipes for.
>
> googling for meta-xenomai reveals:
>
> [1][2]
>

>> It appears as though Xenomai has changed quite a bit over the years. If
>> my quick re-reading of their material is correct, the Xenomai core is
>> implemented as a Linux kernel module which can built in to a standard
>> Linux kernel?
>
> ... kind of ...
>
> kernel space:
>
> You need to apply a patch to a certain kernel version and configure the
> kernel afterwards.
>
> So for an ARM architecture there is a patch for the 3.8 kernel[3]
>
> user land:
>
> But unlike with preempt-rt you also need to build the Xenomai userland
> stuff.
>

>> Out of curiosity, what sort of real-time requirements do you have?
>>

> That's a good point. Shameless self promotion [4].

Does your RT-threads have access to the full linux userland?
I'm thinking about D-BUS comms, Qt framework, networking stuff, ...
Or do they live in their own shell and communicate with the non-rt world
via a dedicated system?
As well, have you tried/use it in a multi core context, where one core
runs linux and the other one a RT kernel.

Regards,
Chris