[yocto] Embedded Linux with Xenomai support

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Sun Sep 1 08:07:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 08/30/2013 07:56 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>> Is there any Linux distribution based on the Yocto project that lets
>> me configure my embedded kernel with Xenomai? If not, has anybody got
>> any experinece in adding Xenomai to the Yocto project?
>
> I am not aware of anyone using Xenomai with Yocto to date (although that
> doesn't mean nobody is). Our Real-Time focus has been on the PREEMPT_RT
> Linux kernel, which we do have recipes for.

googling for meta-xenomai reveals:

[1][2]

> It appears as though Xenomai has changed quite a bit over the years. If
> my quick re-reading of their material is correct, the Xenomai core is
> implemented as a Linux kernel module which can built in to a standard
> Linux kernel?

... kind of ...

kernel space:

You need to apply a patch to a certain kernel version and configure the
kernel afterwards.

So for an ARM architecture there is a patch for the 3.8 kernel[3]

user land:

But unlike with preempt-rt you also need to build the Xenomai userland
stuff.

> Out of curiosity, what sort of real-time requirements do you have?

That's a good point. Shameless self promotion [4].

Regards,

Robert

[1] https://github.com/nojgosu/meta-xenomai
[2] https://github.com/DrunkenInfant/beaglebone-xenomai
[3]
http://git.xenomai.org/?p=xenomai-head.git;a=tree;f=ksrc/arch/arm/patches;h=c6045f00819318970d6bba65c397609052c9414e;hb=HEAD
[4] http://www.reliableembeddedsystems.com/pdfs/2010_03_04_rt_linux.pdf

..."A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming
is not worth knowing." - Anonymous

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1