[yocto] Server specs for a continuous integration system

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Sep 2 05:35:10 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 06:05, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gna.org> wrote:
> So right now, I'm thinking about:
> - CPU: Xeon E5, maybe 2 x E5-2670/90, for a total of 16 cores (32 threads)
> - Hard drives: 500GB, 1 TB or 2 TB (ideally with RAID if it can speed up the
> builds)
> - RAM: i don't really know, maybe 8 or 16 GB or more?

At least 16GB of RAM for the vast amount of disk cache that will give
you.  32GB or more will mean you can easily put the TMPDIR or WORKDIR
into a tmpfs (there's been discussion about this a few weeks ago).
I've 16GB of RAM and a 8GB tmpfs with rm_work was sufficient for
WORKDIR which gave a 10% speedup (and massive reduction on disk wear).
 Others have machines with 64GB RAM and use it for all of TMPDIR, at
which point you'll be almost entirely CPU-bound.

Ross