[yocto] Server specs for a continuous integration system

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Sun Sep 1 22:05:08 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at server specs for a "good" continuous
integration server to be used for a project using Yocto and other things
as well.

The definition of "good" in my context is something that allows me to:
- Build 2 images for 2 different products that will interact with each
other (kind of client/server architecture), so likely based on the same
custom Yocto distro, but likely running on 2 different SoCs (and
different vendors).
- Each image will need to have two build flavours: production and
engineering
- Very likely other demo images as well
- The client is a "lightweight" measurement system, so i need a small
base (connman, systemd, wifi, Qt, ntp client), the application layer (Qt
based but no GUI), and a couple of firmwares to be run on auxiliary devices
- The server is still kind of lightweight, same base as above, plus
sqlite, light http server, ntp server and of course it's own application
layer (Qt based again, with a GUI for a wide "session screen").

On top of that:
- The server will be part of a continuous integration system with
nightly builds and test suite runners/controllers .
- The CI will have to build a couple of "Engineering tools" as well (Qt
based again), that need to be compile for Gnu/Linux and cross-compiled
for Windows.
- The CI will have to build a couple of firmware that run on embedded RTOS.

Last thing is I would like to run all build/test activities on a unique
Linux server.

Having myself a quad-core i7/3GHz workstation, i still find the yocto
build very (very) long, and this server will have way more work to do
than me when i'm playing around with Yocto.

So right now, I'm thinking about:
- CPU: Xeon E5, maybe 2 x E5-2670/90, for a total of 16 cores (32 threads)
- Hard drives: 500GB, 1 TB or 2 TB (ideally with RAID if it can speed up
the builds)
- RAM: i don't really know, maybe 8 or 16 GB or more?

Budget wise, my feeling is that 10k US$ should be enough...

I'm coming here to see if anyone would have feedback on choosing the
right "good enough" specs for a continuous integration server.

Best regards,
Chris