[yocto] meta-toolchain-qt with Qt Creator

Laurentiu Palcu laurentiu.palcu at intel.com
Mon Oct 7 00:05:15 PDT 2013

Hi Diego,

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:26:06PM -0300, Diego Sueiro wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've found the issue.
> I was installing the poky toolchain outside the default path (/opt/opky/1.4.2).
> After installing on default path, Qt creator was enable to find the right QT
> version. I compiled an example and loaded it on board without any issues.
>
> I discovered it before seeing an warning message from Qt creator saying that it
> could not find the qmake.conf on /opt/opky/1.4.2/<...>/usr/mkspec/default/
> qmake.conf.
>
> Lesson learned: don't change the default toolchain insatallation path,
> otherwise something will not work properly.
>
> Can someone explain this behavior? Since you can choose a path to install the
> toolchain it must have to work out of the box.
It's a little more complicated than that. After building the toolchain,
all binaries have the default absolute path to the dynamic loader
(/opt/poky/...) hardcoded in the elf INTERP section. This is easy to
change. However, other binaries may or may not have other hardcoded
paths to search for different things (like configs, etc.). Most of these
could be easily fixed by providing the binary with an option or setting
an environment variable to instruct it where to find what it needs. Take
for example the gcc --sysroot option. By default gcc will search for the
sysroot in the default location (starting with /opt/poky), but providing
a --sysroot option, we override this default path.

So, even though, for relocation, changing the INTERP section may suffice
for most of the binaries, some may need more tweaking.

A quick search on google brought me to this page:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qmake-environment-reference.html

It turns out that QMAKESPEC environment variable is what QT creator
looks at to be able to locate qmake.conf. So, perhaps, we need to add
this to the environment file and the problem should be fixed...

Can you please test this?

Thanks,
Laurentiu