[yocto] How to use pre-built external Yocto toolchain

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 28 05:17:17 PST 2013

Hi Christopher,

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 23:02:43 Thornburg, Christopher A wrote:
> I must be missing something obvious. It's easy for me to build and install a
> toolchain package using bitbake meta-toolchain
> The resulting toolchain package shows up at...
> ./tmp/deploy/sdk/poky-eglibc-i686-meta-toolchain-core2-toolchain-1.5.sh
> ...which is easy to install.
>
> It seems the proper way to use such an external toolchain would be to set
> TCMODE, but TCMODE only seems to support 'default' (i.e. build an internal
> toolchain) and 'external-sourcery' (i.e. use an external sourcery
> toolchain). :S
>
> How do I use an external toolchain built as above?

We don't support this; if you're going to use our toolchain it's expected that
you let the build system take care of building it. If what you want is to
accelerate repeat builds or builds of the same source on different machines,
the solution for that is to use shared state (using SSTATE_MIRRORS to share
between different build machines, if needed).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton