[yocto] How to use pre-built external Yocto toolchain

Thornburg, Christopher A christopher.a.thornburg at intel.com
Wed Nov 27 15:02:43 PST 2013

I must be missing something obvious. It's easy for me to build and install a toolchain package using
bitbake meta-toolchain
The resulting toolchain package shows up at...
./tmp/deploy/sdk/poky-eglibc-i686-meta-toolchain-core2-toolchain-1.5.sh
...which is easy to install.

It seems the proper way to use such an external toolchain would be to set TCMODE, but TCMODE only seems to support 'default' (i.e. build an internal toolchain) and 'external-sourcery' (i.e. use an external sourcery toolchain). :S

How do I use an external toolchain built as above?

Thanks!