[yocto] Deploying Yocto build images

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Thu Nov 21 10:20:09 PST 2013

Thanks for posting this. It's very timely for a project I am in the initial stages of designing. I have looked over the docs and some of the code, and am interested in using this.

I would make a couple suggestions:

1)      As you mention, documentation is important. Unless this is very well documented, it's difficult for other people to take up and use effectively, or to advocate for its use in a group

2)      Progress indications: it's going to be fairly important to build in some way to notify other process about the state of the update. A flexible framework for sharing progress would be very much appreciated. There are a couple scenarios I have, but the main one is a network notification where one device is being updated by another. The updated device should be able to signal update progress to the updater device in a flexible fashion. I haven't looked at the code hard enough to see how difficult this would be to add.
--
Michael

From: yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org [mailto:yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org] On Behalf Of Diego Sueiro
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:35 AM
To: Stefano Babic
Cc: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Deploying Yocto build images

Stefano,

This is a really great tool. I'm always developing a new software update tool for each new project, since there are different requirements.
As I can see you are dealing with different scenarios, and this is really amazing.

I'm already cloning meta-swupdate to test it.
Looking at recipes I realized that swupdate is initialized in an sysVinit environment.
Did you plan to use systemd too?
Maybe I can contribute to this.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,