[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Using the camera

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Nov 18 12:37:10 PST 2013

I have the raspberrypi camera (the one that plugs directly into
the board) running with Raspbian.  Now I'd like to have it working
with my Yocto based build.  I'm running the latest kernel which I
think matches the same kernel on Raspbian and I copied the /boot/config.txt
from my Raspbian disk to my Yocto image which I think should enable the
camera.  I've also checked the kernel cmdline which I think matches.

However, when I try to access the camera I get this error:
   root at raspberrypi:~# raspistill  -o /tmp/xx.jpg
   mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not find component 'vc.ril.camera'
   mmal: Failed to create camera component
   mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
   mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates

Any ideas what I need to do to get the camera working?

Thanks