[yocto] raspberrypi not booting in dylan

Lukas-David Gorris lukas.gorris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:19:11 PST 2013

Hello,

"rpi-basic-image" for MACHINE="raspberrypi" from metadata revision 1.4
"dylan" with added layer "meta-raspberrypi" does not boot on my 512MB
raspberrypi with hynix memory. The green ACT led will light up only
briefly after power up. There is no activity on the serial console, HDMI
nor usb.
With the exact hardware configuration, I can boot a "raspbian" image
just fine (
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/raspbian/2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian/2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.zip
).

Tested working fix:

Flash the yocto image to SD and on the generated fat partition, replace

bootcode.bin
cmdline.txt
config.txt
*.elf

with the same files copied from the fat partition of the above raspbian
image. That will generate a yocto SD card that will boot up fine and
super fast to login.

According to the following post, this is due to a change of memory
modules (now hynix) used in more recent raspberrypi revisions. I have
512MB hynix memory (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3534).

It might be concluded that the bootloader in the yocto dylan metadata is
outdated and that an update could add compatibility with current
raspberrypi hardware.

Please let me know if I can assist testing any patches or workarounds.

Best,

Lukas