[yocto] Core-image-minimal-initramfs (Second ping)

Bill Martin billmartin544 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:13:20 PST 2013

Please refer to my question in Volume 8 issue 35. I am very desperate in
wanting to use the initramfs in m yoctobuild for an embedded x86 target
architecture. I am using Yocto Dylan 9.0.2 for crown bay.

The root directory for my boot is in /dev/sda1

After normal boot, the root directory is presumably at /dev/sda. Hence my
grub has "root (hd0,0)"

My grub 0.97 initrd command looks good

My dmesg spits out information and stops at the line

XT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data

And that's where it ends up. No panic.

I noticed in meta/recipes-core/images the
core-image-minimal-initramfs.bbhas its IMAGE_ROOT size set to 8192. Is
that too small?

I found absolutely no help in the Yocto documentation on this initramfs
stuff.

I found a CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE and read that this tells the kernel where
the initramfs is. I am not sure if I need to set it. Again, no
Yocto documentation on how to use one of its builds!!!!!

I presume my grub stage 1 and stage 2 completed and by the time my dmesg
command dumps out messages, init is running. In fact I did see a familiar
message that is in the init file.

I googled all day on what this problem could be. Unfortunately a variety of
different causes. I don't know where to begin.

I did see a question in May 2012 from a guy wanting to see if Yocto
supports INITRAMFS. The responder was referring to Grub 2.0 and said in the
kernel command initrd=config-image-minimal<target>.cpio.gz /dev/ram0

Is there someone out there, especially from Yocto, who at least tested the
capability of Core-image-minimal-initramfs? And not on the simulator but in
a real boot?

thanks

Bill