[yocto] how do you use core-image-minimal-initramfs in grub?

Bill Martin billmartin544 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 19:34:23 PST 2013

I need to have an initramfs to run special commands prior to the rootfs
being installed. My application must decrypt the rootfs. So I cannot use
tpm-luks to open the rootfs LUKS device.

I found the core-image-minimal-initramfs's rootfs shows my
IMAGE_INSTALL_append packages I specified in local.conf are in the
installed list for the initramfs. So my tpm-luks scripts and my trousers
binaries should be available if I call them from init.

First things first. I have grub 0.97 (I have to because I need to use
TrustedGRUB, which is only based on the old grub). My grub command lines are

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/core-image-minimal-initramfs<target>.cpio.gz
boot

Well without the initrd this boots up nicely. But with initrd n grub the
boot stops with the message "EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data."

Without the initrd I see that same message, followed by one that says the
rootfs is installed (or mounted, I forget).

I am wondering if my grub initrd command is right, but if somehow the init
file that initrd it trying to use does not know where to put rootfs? I did
not touch the init file in the recipe for it.

Anyone out there see this problem? I'm pretty new to Linux still.

regards

Bill