[yocto] SRCREV how is it supposed to work?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 5 02:51:08 PST 2013

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 10:25:24 Hans Beckérus wrote:
> I have seen recipes that defines PV = "xyz+git${SRCPV}" and then
> SRCREV to a specific tag instead of ${AUTOREV}.
> Is that not contradictory? Or is it simply that the author of that
> recipe wished to have a git tag automatically added to the version
> string?
> Are there any specific cases when that approach is to prefere?

AFAIK, there are two recommended values for SRCREV assuming you are fetching
from an SCM at all:

A) A specific revision (SHA1 hash when fetching from git)

or

B) "${AUTOREV}" if you want to always build the latest version available at
time of building. If you want to build the latest version from a branch,
specify it in branch= in the SRC_URI entry.

Anything else isn't really a good idea. Sometimes I wonder if we ought to just
tighten this up so that only settings that make sense can be set.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton