[yocto] [meta-mono] Mono 3.2.3 support

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 01:47:05 PST 2013

Hi all,

I've successfully built and tested a Mono 3.2.3 recipe with Yocto.

The code is in a fork I took of current meta-mono head, which is here:

git at git.assembla.com:ciseco-eve.meta-mono.git

Web access:https://www.assembla.com/code/ciseco-eve/git-2/nodes
<https://www.assembla.com/code/ciseco-eve/git-2/nodes>

I have tested against a qemux86 target and also against an i.MX6 target
built out of the meta-arm-fsl layer (MACHINE = 'imx6qsabresd',
fsl-image-gui)

Bitbake layer versions and major environment settings are here
http://pastebin.com/SQhB4JgL

The testing I have done thus far is basic, simply running a console
"Hello World" application
and a corresponding version showing a Windows Form with a button.

Floating Point
============

At this time Mono does not support arm hardfp although there may be some
patches
floating around. There are some notes on upcoming support for Mono in
the the near
future but nothing I can see in the repository yet,

ref: http://blog.alexrp.com/2013/07/21/recent-improvements-to-mono-on-arm/

As such any images which are tuned by default to use hardfp need this
overridden (e.g. fsl-image-gui)

To build fsl-image-gui I added the following to my local.conf

DEFAULTTUNE_mx6 = "cortexa9-neon"

(I'm not sure if this is the best way - any advice on this would be
appreciated)

Build Issues
==========

Lastly I had a lot of trouble building. From comments seen on the
inter-web I suspect
there is an issue with bitbake tracking dependencies across differing
tunings.

"I tried this on imx6qsabresd and have no issues.   Right before release
we did have problems with
disabling hwfp correctly but it was enabled in the final update. Also
I've seen multiple times that switching
between hwfp and swfp can corrupt build states.  I always keep these
completely separate builds both
with cache and tmp directories."

ref: https://community.freescale.com/thread/310233

I was seeing that recipe builds failed, and in one case when I
investigated the RPM .spec file
the spec file had been created with dependencies on packages with
-hardfp in the naming.

I had to create a completely new build directory for my softfp build and
with this done
the build then worked.

I think this may have been something touched upon by commentators at
ELCE the other week.

---

Lastly, if anybody has time to review the recipes I've modified here and
advise me on any non-compliances
with Yocto policies I'd be pleased to make any needed changes to bring
them into compliance with a view
to committal to the official git repo.

Best Regards,

Alex Lennon