[yocto] Deploying Yocto built images on x86

Markus Svilans msvilans at aeonyx.ca
Mon Nov 4 10:58:21 PST 2013

Dear list,

What do people do for deploying Yocto built images to actual x86 hardware?

I am researching how to build an appliance type Linux box on x86
hardware, but I am unclear on what are the generally accepted methods
for doing that. The box would need to have a read-only rootfs, mounted
in RAM, with one or more partitions for storing persistent files.

I am looking for some method, where I could bitbake a recipe, that will:

  * build a FAT image for syslinux and initramfs files
  * build one or more small ext3/4 partitions for persistent storage
    (config files, log files, etc.)
  * generate a single binary image, that can be easily installed to a
    hard drive (via dd or other tool), and will automatically handle the
    various partitions, boot record, etc. on the target hard drive

The following presentation from 2006 mentions the mkimg and imgloader
tools, that appear to do just that:
http://elinux.org/images/1/1b/Jordan_crouse_celf_2006.pdf

But there seems to be no mention of the mkimg / imgloader tools anywhere
online. What happened to them? Are they proprietary AMD tools?

Any insights or links to good literature would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much
Markus