[yocto] External toolchain busybox error

jan alexandru vaduva vaduva.jan.alexandru at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 10:00:12 PST 2013

Hello guys,

I imported an external toolchain into yocto using meta-sourcery layer.
It build fine some userspace recipes and also the kernel but I git some
errors on busybox.

For the busybox the error is:
mips64-nlm-linux-ld
--sysroot=/home/alexandru/Downloads/yocto/poky/buildKernel/tmp/sysroots/xlpev
-m elf64btsmipn64  -r -o applets/built-in.o applets/applets.o
| mips64-nlm-linux-ld: unrecognised emulation mode: elf64btsmipn64
| Supported emulations: elf32btsmipn32 elf32ltsmipn32 elf32btsmip
elf32ltsmip elf64btsmip elf64btsmip_sym32 elf64ltsmip elf64ltsmip_sym32

Does this mean that the emulator is notr supported into yocto?
Is there a way to enable support for it?

It worked to call: mips64-nlm-linux-ld
--sysroot=/home/alexandru/Downloads/yocto/poky/buildKernel/tmp/sysroots/xlpev
-m elf64btsmip  -r -o applets/built-in.o applets/applets.o

which implies defining the emulator as being elf64btsmip but I am trying to
avoid it because it can imply multiple changes to recipes.

Also one assumption I have is maybe the binutils update can solve this
problem, but I do not think that "elf64btsmipn64" is standard.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks for your help,
Alex