[yocto] How can I remove packages from rootfs file ?

Jack jackrubby2010 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:56:18 PDT 2013

Thanks a lot Paul.

Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at ...> writes:

> On Saturday 25 May 2013 13:58:46 Jack wrote:
> > I maked a fsl-image-minaml rootfs file and customized it with adding
> > particular packages. For example, I added
> > IMAGE_INSTALL_append_pn-fsl-image-minimal = " task-core-ssh-openssh
> > task-core-nfs-server" in local.conf file. The problem is that, the rootfs
> > file has 6-7 MB capacity but this capacity of file is very high and not
> > acceptable to me. So how can I remove some packages from rootfs file that I
> > do not want ?
>
> There are several different aspects to answering this question.
>
> The list of packages to be installed is composed of several things - the list
> of packages specified in IMAGE_INSTALL, packages brought in by IMAGE_FEATURES,
> and packages brought in to satisfy dependencies of either of the first two.
>
> One way to analyse the contents of your image is to enable buildhistory [1]
> which gives you the full list of installed packages, installed packages by
> size, as well as graphs (.dot) that will show you the dependency relationships
> between the packages. These dot graphs can be viewed by converting them to
> images using the "dot" command (from graphviz) or using a viewer such as xdot
> [2].
I enabled buildhistory by adding INHERIT += "buildhistory" and
BUILDHISTORY_COMMIT = "1" to local.conf file. But I got this error :

| error: Failed dependencies:
| libcrypt.so.1(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by inetutils-1.8-r0.ppce500v2
.
.
.
.

How can I solve this error ?

> Once you've analysed things at this level, you may find there are dependency
> relationships that can't easily be broken, or some packages that are overly
> large. At this point you will need to start looking at changing the build
> configuraton of the packages in question - disabling optional functionalty,
> removing optional dependencies etc. (usually this would be done by changing
> DISTRO_FEATURES, modifying the kernel configuration, changing PACKAGECONFIG
> options for individual recipes, or if those aren't available modifying
> EXTRA_OECONF). How far you want to go with this depends on how much you want
> to optimise the size of your image.
>
> If you do find you need to go down the latter path, I'd recommend checking out
> Darren Hart's presentation "Tuning Embedded Linux - When Less is More" [3].

I changed DISTRO_FEATURES in local.conf to DISTRO_FEATURE = "busybox" but it
didn't compile.

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#maintaining-build-output-quality

> [2] https://github.com/jrfonseca/xdot.py
>
> [3] Slides: http://elinux.org/images/2/2b/Elce11_hart.pdf
> Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHLvI8j31vk

Finally, I found that one way to customize an image is hob. I remove some
packages with hob and the size of my root filesystem decreased. The type of
output file that generated is .rootfs.ext2.gz but I need
.rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot type. How can I have .rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot type with
hob? Is it possible convert .rootfs.ext2.gz to .rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot?