[yocto] Adding prebuilt binaries to a BSP recipe

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:56:50 PDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 4:15 PM, <Steve.Scott at microchip.com> wrote:

> Based upon the routerstationpro machine default, we have created a meta-mchp-sasha layer and it works as expected meaning it boots and the file system image works on our test hardware platform. We want to modify the recipe for the meta-mchp-sasha layer to include two graphics libraries that we want to give to customers as prebuilt binaries, but we do not want to include source code. In our case, we want to include vgraphics.ko and libVgraphics.so in the file system image. Our problem is that we don’t know how to do this, but it seems like a simple set of two recipes and including them using IMAGE_INSTALL += “vgraphics libvgraphics”.
>
> Assuming we know how to extract the prebuilt graphics libs from our local git repo, what do we have to include in our Yocto project meta-mchp-sasha layer to allow “bitbake core-image-minimal” to find the graphics libraries and place them in the right part of the file system image?

so in your recipe (your-bins.bb) you would provide a SRC_URI which probably is a tar ball containing your binary artifacts. then in you recipe you would have
a do_install () which will take them from WORKDIR and install them wherever they need to be in ${D}${libdir} and so on.

Then you would add a new recipe for your own image say core-image-minimal-custom.bb
which has

require path/to/core-image-minimal.bb

IMAGE_INSTALL += "your-bins"