[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Zenity is in meta-gnome

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Thu May 2 09:45:05 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> On 2013-05-02 09:52, Paul Barker wrote:
>
>> On 2 May 2013 16:12, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> - a separate tool (which will probably need to be run as root) is used
>>> to actually format/create the SD device (using, say, sfdisk for
>>> automation) this way the last partition can be specified as "use the
>>> rest of the disk"
>>> - this tool unpacks the requested/required {tar|rpm|deb|ipk}s onto the
>>> SD device (some of which can come from outside the Yocto build system,
>>> e.g. from using the SDK); this device already has its
>>> formatting/partitions ready
>>> - this tool could also handle setting up serial numbers, IP addresses,
>>> etc
>>> - this tools also sets up the bootloader (if required)

It always makes sense to create images and deploy it to different file
types. I don't know why you don't think this is a feature the build system
should handle. And the sdcard image is just a particular case of that. Now,
what we are talking about is to make things easier for the user. If he
needs to install alternative rpms (or whatever) he can do it with yum +
repos (even custom from deploy dir), he can use custom images /
packagegroups. IMAGE_INSTALL_append etc. There are so many ways to do it so
after all the user has the possibility to custom things around.

Now, the sdcard is generated or not ... again that is optional. You can
have a tar + kernel + boot things and use a custom script to do whatever -
directly on sd or so. Exactly what you said. But for a general user that
would be additional work / time. And btw the sdcard image is as little as
the actual files are (plus some default free space) and you can have more
free space with EXTRA_IMAGE_FREE_SPACE (?! need to check if that it correct
but anyway there is something similar).

So that script was just a helper to make things easier for the user.

On the other hand i'm pretty sure nobody uses it. Probably because is
outdated and seems to come from other project - which is true :). So if we
decide to keep it we need to refactor it. And raspi-config would be my
choice.

>  Sounds great though it may take a long time to copy files to an SD
>> card (I noticed a similar opinion at
>> http://www.raspbian.org/**RaspbianInstaller<http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller>).
>> May be quicker to generate
>> an image file with the correct size first then dd that to the card.
>>

> The problem with this approach is that the generated image will typically
> be many gigabytes in size (typical SD cards are 4GB on up).  The time to
> copy such an image to the physical card can be very large indeed.

Correct.

--
*Andrei Gherzan*
m: +40.744.478.414 |  f: +40.31.816.28.12