[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Zenity is in meta-gnome

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu May 2 08:12:12 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Paul Barker <paul at paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
> What would be useful is a first boot task which resizes the rootfs to
> fill the SD card it's on without prompts. Should be easy to do with a
> postinst script and fdisk.

In my opinion, what would be even better:

- the build system is instructed to not bother making an image, its
job is to produce {tar|rpm|deb|ipk}s
- a separate tool (which will probably need to be run as root) is used
to actually format/create the SD device (using, say, sfdisk for
automation) this way the last partition can be specified as "use the
rest of the disk"
- this tool unpacks the requested/required {tar|rpm|deb|ipk}s onto the
SD device (some of which can come from outside the Yocto build system,
e.g. from using the SDK); this device already has its
formatting/partitions ready
- this tool could also handle setting up serial numbers, IP addresses, etc
- this tools also sets up the bootloader (if required)

In this way any arbitrary partitioning could be used (1 root partition
and 1 swap? /home separate? arbitrary home-brew partitions/names?),
and the user is free to use whatever formatting for these partitions
they want (they don't have to be decided at build time and the choice
of partition types doesn't have to be restricted to whatever the build
tool is able to use). Weird /etc/fstab tricks aren't required on the
build machine (as some layers require). You have a separate tool that
can be used by the "production" staff to pump out several SD/CF/etc
images at a time (using a USB hub for example). Any arbitrary
bootloader can be used, again not restricted to what the build tool
can support. And the first-boot time isn't 10x longer than any
subsequent boots :-)

In my opinion, up until now, the primary focus of The Yocto Project
has always been on the front-end: setting up the cross-development
environment and cross-compiling software for your target; don't get me
wrong, this is all fantastic and necessary. But there doesn't seem to
be much in the way of back-end support (i.e. the production
environment).