[yocto] Samba server?

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Wed Mar 27 19:10:07 PDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 06:12 AM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Anders Darander
>>
>> Maybe a dumb question...
>>
>> Have you added samba to the image that you're building?
>> Just adding a layer won't cause the added recipes to be built and
>> deployed.
> It's not a dumb question. No, I haven't added samba to the image that I'm
> building. I've read the Yocto Project Reference Manual (except certain
> sections that are obviously irrelevant to a user), and the wretched Bitbake
> manual, and I don't see any mention of doing anything other than adding
> layers to bblayers.conf and tweaking local.conf.
>
> I'm under the impression that, unless one is making metadata changes that
> will ultimately be contributed back to the community, one treats the
> poky-danny-8.0 tree as essentially readonly, and limits ones adjustments to
> perhaps adding more metadata (as I've done by downloading
> meta-openembedded), and editing bblayers.conf (as I've done by adding the
> meta-openembedded/meta-oe layer) and a few settings in local.conf.
>
> I don't see anything in those files that causes anything to be "added to the
> image" other than the mentioning of various layers in bblayers.conf. Yet it
> still manages to build a substantial system containing lots of stuff from
> poky-danny-8.0, but only a few things from meta-openembedded/meta-oe, and
> that doesn't include samba.
>
> So where in the documentation does it explain this? If, as I suspect, the
> answer is "nowhere", then somebody's going to have to hold my hand and tell
> me how to "add samba to the image that I'm building", because I have no idea
> how to do that.
>
> Pardon my exasperation. I really do appreciate the help people have given me
> here. I just wish it was possible to deduce this stuff by reading a decent
> manual.
>
> And if anyone who is part of the Yocto development team is looking for bugs
> to fix, they should consider regarding the state of the documentation as a
> great big fat "bug", and maybe devote 10% of the time to fixing that.

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html
section 5.2 Customizing Images

In your case, you could add the following line to local.conf.
IMAGE_INSTALL_append += "samba"

And you can use 'bitbake -g <image_recipe_name>' to see whether samba is
pulled in.

For all docs, see https://www.yoctoproject.org/documentation/current.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi