[yocto] systemd timeouts started daemons

Jukka Rissanen jukka.rissanen at linux.intel.com
Wed Mar 20 01:27:13 PDT 2013

Hi all,

some update to the problem I am seeing with systemd.

So the symptom of the problem is that after systemd has started a daemon
like connmand, it kills it after 30 secs.

The reason for this was that systemd did not receive NameOwnerChanged
dbus signal telling that the daemon managed to register its name to the
system bus.

I checked with dbus-monitor that these NameOwnerChanged signals are
indeed sent by dbus-daemon but they are not seen in debug prints from
systemd.

The systemd version I have is 197, dbus version is 1.6.8. I tried with
kernel 3.4 and 3.8, the same result. The distro I am using is very
minimal one without X11 or any other graphics, so it might be that I
have accidentally removed some vital component. The distro is using
packagegroup-base + some additional packages, polkit is not installed.

What is even weirder that in qemu image, I can start connman
successfully via systemd but not ofono or bluez. In Intel NUC device, I
am not able to start either connman, bluez or ofono from systemd. All
these daemons work just fine when started manually from command line.

This paste contains qemu log where connman starts successfully but ofono
and bluez do not. http://pastebin.com/UTUVBjqu

I am using latest yocto + oe from git.

Any ideas what is wrong here?

Cheers,