[yocto] building yocto image from git always switches branch

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Mar 15 09:00:26 PDT 2013

On 13-03-15 08:04 AM, Volker Vogelhuber wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Interesting. Are you working out of yocto/oe-core master ? The linux
>> yocto kernel support should always fail if the kernel source dir
>> isn't a git repo (or convert it into one) and not impact the main
>> yocto/oe-core tree.
> As mentioned in the first post, I checked out the danny branch.
>
> I used the following bitbake recipe for kernel compilation:
>
> inherit kernel
> require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc
>
> SECTION = "kernel"
> LICENSE = "GPLv2"
>
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"
>

> DESCRIPTION = "Linux kernel for the tao-boards"
> KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"
> KERNEL_CC_append += "-mno-unaligned-access "
>
> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(tao)"
>
> PV = "2.6.37"
>
> MACHINE_KERNEL_PR_append = "c+tn"
>
> SRC_URI = "file://linux-2.6.37-tn.tar.xz \
>             file://defconfig \
>             file://nonetwork.patch \
>             file://rtc.patch \
> 	   file://multitouch.patch"
>
> S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-2.6.37-tn"
>
> # Sadly perf is broken:
> do_compile_perf() {
> 	:
> }
>
> do_validate_branches() {
> 	  :
> }
>
> do_install_perf() {
> 	:
> }
>

> After I removed the require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc
> line it worked. As you can see I have a .tar.xz file for the kernel source, so
> no git. But the git command within the linux-yocto.inc file
> realizes, that there is a git repository. But it's not one from the
> kernel, but from the poky repository the whole build environment is
> located in.

Hmmm. This is definitely supposed to error in the build process.
If you use linux-yocto-custom as a baseline recipe (from meta-skeleton),
you'll find the tgz that is unpacked by the build system is converted
to a git repository before the build starts, allow all the tool extensions
to work with configs that for one reason or another can't use a git
backed tree.

I just tested it here, and it worked, using the latest code in master.

Cheers,

Bruce