[yocto] building yocto image from git always switches branch

Volker Vogelhuber v.vogelhuber at digitalendoscopy.de
Fri Mar 15 08:04:35 PDT 2013

Hi,

> Interesting. Are you working out of yocto/oe-core master ? The linux
> yocto kernel support should always fail if the kernel source dir
> isn't a git repo (or convert it into one) and not impact the main
> yocto/oe-core tree.
As mentioned in the first post, I checked out the danny branch.

I used the following bitbake recipe for kernel compilation:

inherit kernel
require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc

SECTION = "kernel"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"

LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"

DESCRIPTION = "Linux kernel for the tao-boards"
KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"
KERNEL_CC_append += "-mno-unaligned-access "

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(tao)"

PV = "2.6.37"

MACHINE_KERNEL_PR_append = "c+tn"

SRC_URI = "file://linux-2.6.37-tn.tar.xz \
           file://defconfig \
           file://nonetwork.patch \
           file://rtc.patch \
	   file://multitouch.patch"

S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-2.6.37-tn"

# Sadly perf is broken:
do_compile_perf() {
	:
}

do_validate_branches() {
	  :
}

do_install_perf() {
	:
}

After I removed the require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc
line it worked. As you can see I have a .tar.xz file for the kernel source, so
no git. But the git command within the linux-yocto.inc file
realizes, that there is a git repository. But it's not one from the
kernel, but from the poky repository the whole build environment is
located in.