[yocto] Fwd: How do I control what kernel modules are being loaded?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Mar 11 06:49:32 PDT 2013

On 13-03-11 09:46 AM, Eric Bénard wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Le Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:37:44 -0400,
> Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> a écrit :
>> Can you post your exact changes where we can see them ? You need to put
>> the module_autload variable in a .conf file, whether that be your
>> local.conf, your machine.conf or you distro configuration file (which
>> it appears that you are doing), but you also must have the name of
>> the module package correct, and the module needs to be part of your
>> IMAGE_INSTALL, since the code fragment I pasted above is from the
>> post installation fragment created for the various module packages
>> as they are created.
>>
>> i.e. I have this in a .conf file:
>>
>>      module_autoload_nfsd = "nfsd"
>>
>> To ensure that the nfsd .ko is loaded on boot, when the module is built
>> and present on the rootfs.
>>
> I think the problem is that this works when building modules inside the
> kernel (module_autoload is handled in kernel.bbclass), but not when

Not in master anymore, but agreed, we are talking Danny here IIRC.

> building a module with its own recipe (using module.bbclass) as Hans
> is doing, that's why I previously told him to "get inspiration from
> kernel.bbclass to do the same thing in your recipe".

Ah yes. I do recall a nuance of a package with mixed kernel modules and
userspace code.

The new module-split class from master would handle this nicely, so
taking inspiration from master's would would probably be an even
shorter route to getting something working.

Cheers,

Bruce