[yocto] Licencing OpenSource fonts

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Mar 8 09:15:33 PST 2013

On 8 Mar 2013, at 10:18, Chris Tapp wrote:

> Sorry if this is off-topic for this list, but I'm hoping that someone on here may be able to help with a licensing question.
>
> I am working on a document which is to be published using the Google 'Open Sans' font. This is licensed under an Apache Licence.
>
> The licence lists all the 'usual' things to do when distributing / modifying the font, but it doesn't say what to do if the font is used.
>
> We plan to add something like "This document was typeset using OpenSans; this font is distributed under the terms of the Apache licence — see www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html" to the acknowledgements section of the document. Would we need to go further than this?

In the 7 hours it's taken this to get to the list (no ideas where it got stuck!) we've changed our words to reflect the information in the font itself:

"This document was typeset using Open Sans. Open Sans is a trademark of Google and may be registered in certain jurisdictions. Digitized data copyright © 2010-2011, Google Corporation. Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0"

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com