[yocto] Minutes: Yocto Project 1.4 M4 release readiness discussion

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Fri Mar 1 15:56:32 PST 2013

On 1 March 2013 23:32, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you answer this
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2013-February/036223.html
> and how this solution helps with upgrade paths?

Having split packages can break the upgrade path - say your distro
goes from sysvinit to sysvinit rescue + systemd main.  How does your
foo-daemon package get the right init script package on upgrade?

I proposed a solution for distributions that care - inject the
migration path dependencies though meta-systemd.  I still maintain
that oe-core shouldn't have to bend over backwards to maintain
compatibility with every recipe that migrates.  Obviously we don't
want to deliberately break where we have a choice but equally so

> Coding was contributed to meta-systemd which was working fine for both
> use-cases. Maybe explaining hidden benefits of not splitted packages
> would motivate some people..

The advantage of having init scripts in the daemon package is
simplicity.  For the cost of two init scripts (what, 1K between them?)
you remove lots of complexity, including the upgrade path breakage I
described above.

Ross