[yocto] uboot.bin and rootfs but not uImage

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Mar 1 05:49:30 PST 2013

On 13-03-01 03:53 AM, Satya Swaroop Damarla wrote:
> Hi Rudy,
>
> Thank you for the basic file... I have a question here... The git
> directory is already saved on my work pc. What is the necessity to
> download it again? The reason behind my asking this question is, it is
> secured and so password is required. So, in order to avoid confusion I
> already downloaded it to a directory called
> "/home/damarla/linux-skidata.git". So can I just write
>
> SRC_URI = "dir://home/damarla/linux-skidata.git"
>
> I think in the above way I can just simply remove the KSRC and KBRANCH
> variables from the linux-skidata.bb <http://linux-skidata.bb> file. The
> revision tag is also not required in this cases as we are using the
> kernel provided by the company itself, I mean for the first basic build.

The example code that was posted, already does this. KSRC points to
a git repository on your local machine:

    KSRC ?= "<path to>/linux-skidata.git"

And the protocol is set to "file" in the SRC_URI

    SRC_URI = "git://${KSRC};protocol=file;branch=${KBRANCH};name=kernel \
        file://defconfig"

There's nothing more that you need to do.

> One more thing is the skidata-carrier_defconfig is already in the
> directory git I mentioned above at
> "/home/damarla/linux-skidata.git/arch/arm/configs/skidata-carrier_defconfig"
> ... When compiling the kernel how can we tell the build system to build
> the kernel using that specific defconfig file?

Putting the defconfig on the SRC_URI is all that you have to do.

This information is also covered in the quickstart and development
guides .. have you had a look at them ? If you have a look, you'll
see that more options are available with linux-yocto based recipes
(custom or the ones part of oe-core), which will allow you some more
flexibility in handling modifications to the kernel.

Cheers,

Bruce