[yocto] linux-libc-header version mismatch?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Jun 24 09:19:46 PDT 2013

On 13-06-24 11:59 AM, Hans Beckérus wrote:
> Hi. We are using a 3.6 based kernel in our builds using a custom
> kernel recipe. However, I can see that the linux-libc-headers built
> but based on a 3.8 kernel?
> Is this really how it should be? Are we supposed to also make a custom
> recipe for the linux-libc-headers? The image seems to be executing
> fine but I am a bit worried about the version mismatch :(

You shouldn't need to do this. We use a single libc-headers version
for all of a given linux-yocto kernels in a release. The userspace /
libc ABI is stable, and backwards compatible (generally speaking of
course). New interfaces typically have a fallback if the kernel
interface is missing, and we don't currently have any issues either.

Of course older headers with newer kernels is even safer, since
typically at most you are missing out on being able to use new APIs
versus potential for missing APIs.

several kernel versions and haven't found any issues (yet).

Cheers,

Bruce