[yocto] Where do image names come from?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 14 01:01:36 PDT 2013

On Thursday 13 June 2013 18:26:10 Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
> > Where does the base name of the image files in build/tmp/deploy/images
> > come from? More to the point, if I create my own image recipe in my own
> > layer, what control do I have over the name of the resulting image files?
> > I'd like to be able to create more than one variant, and not have to
> > remember which is which based on the build times appended to the file
> > names.
>
> IMAGE_BASENAME variable is used to define name. by default its same as
> PN of image recipe.

You should probably just have different image recipes for this - problem
solved.

> > A related question: section 5.2.1 of the dev-manual says I can create a
> > custom image based on an existing image by copying that image recipe and
> > then modifying it. Is there some reason I can't use a .bbappend for this,
> > e.g., core-image-base.bbappend?
>
> you can but then its a different image. You dont have to copy you can
> also include the existing image recipe in your recipe and add
> customizations.

The reasoning for documenting it that way is that usually image recipes are so
trivial there's not much point in extending an existing recipe, plus you
usually want to give it your own name; and if you did extend an existing
recipe you would potentially pick up any changes to the original recipe which
may not be desirable if you've already examined and approved the content of
the image. Unlike other recipes most of the time it's just simpler and less
maintenance to just copy and edit the image recipe as desired.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton