[yocto] anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Tue Jun 4 05:26:09 PDT 2013

On 04/06/13 13:22, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/13 12:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>     that's this board:
>>>
>>> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard
>>>
>>> there's an alleged page for downloading an appropriate layer here:
>>>
>>> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project
>>>
>>> with the instructions:
>>>
>>> $ git clone http://git.rocketboards.org/poky-socfpga.git
>>> $ cd  poky-socfpga/
>>> $ git checkout -b <test_branch_name> origin/danny-altera
>>> $ source ./altera-init build
>>> $ bitbake virtual/kernel virtual/bootloader altera-image
>>>
>>> but those instructions clearly won't work as that checkout doesn't
>>> include the script "altera-init" and doesn't define an "altera-image".
>>>
>>>     there's a much larger downloadable image called
>>> "linux-socfpga-13.02-RC10-src.bsx", but it's well over 800M and is
>>> defined to contain *everything* you need to build (that's all the
>>> source and everything), but i don't want to go down that road as i'm
>>> pretty sure i have most of the source.
>>>
>>>     so is there, in fact, a valid meta-altera(?) layer of some kind that
>>> defines the machine, image(s) and recipes for the arrow sockit board,
>>> without cluttering the download with 800M+ of extraneous junk? thanks.
>>>
>>> rday
>>>

>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I recently went on a training day with EVB (at Altera offices) and
>> they said the only supported method was through the Altera downloads
>> and rocketboards community site, for there dev board. They were not
>> aware of any 'meta-altera' layer (which is madness).
>>
>> I am attending an Arrow training day in the coming weeks (where they
>> give this board out for free) so it will be interesting to see if
>> you get anywhere with this as I will be incorporating my own distro,
>> and as such need a fully layered approach.
>>
>> If you still need me to ask any questions in a couple of weeks I
>> will do so for you.
>
>    over the last couple of hours, i've got a lot of it figured out.
> i've started (unsurprisingly :-) to document everything here:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Arrow_SoCKit
>
>    the web page that suggests there is a separate layer:
>
> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project
>
> seems pretty clearly incorrect, but if you download the monstrous .bsx
> file and install it, then run the install_altera_socfpga_src.sh script
> that you get inside that, that produces another directory with
> contents:
>
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1547 Mar 27 17:01 altera-init
> drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 26  2012 bitbake
> drwxrwxr-x 11 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 documentation
> -rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday   545 Oct 26  2012 LICENSE
> drwxrwxr-x 21 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta
> drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Apr  5 15:20 meta-altera
> drwxrwxr-x  4 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-hob
> [...]

The interesting ones in there are meta-altera and meta-linaro; it would
also be interesting to see if anything else is modified or if it is
vanilla Yocto. I have a sinking feeling it may not be... mainly due to
the tightly coupled DT and socfpga implementation with the Altera tools.

Could you post the altera-init script; I would imagine that hides the
demons ;)

   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer
   http://www.embed.me.uk