[yocto] anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jun 4 05:22:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> On 04/06/13 12:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >    that's this board:
> >
> > http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard
> >
> > there's an alleged page for downloading an appropriate layer here:
> >
> > http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project
> >
> > with the instructions:
> >
> > $ git clone http://git.rocketboards.org/poky-socfpga.git
> > $ cd  poky-socfpga/
> > $ git checkout -b <test_branch_name> origin/danny-altera
> > $ source ./altera-init build
> > $ bitbake virtual/kernel virtual/bootloader altera-image
> >
> > but those instructions clearly won't work as that checkout doesn't
> > include the script "altera-init" and doesn't define an "altera-image".
> >
> >    there's a much larger downloadable image called
> > "linux-socfpga-13.02-RC10-src.bsx", but it's well over 800M and is
> > defined to contain *everything* you need to build (that's all the
> > source and everything), but i don't want to go down that road as i'm
> > pretty sure i have most of the source.
> >
> >    so is there, in fact, a valid meta-altera(?) layer of some kind that
> > defines the machine, image(s) and recipes for the arrow sockit board,
> > without cluttering the download with 800M+ of extraneous junk? thanks.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Hi Robert,
>
> I recently went on a training day with EVB (at Altera offices) and
> they said the only supported method was through the Altera downloads
> and rocketboards community site, for there dev board. They were not
> aware of any 'meta-altera' layer (which is madness).
>
> I am attending an Arrow training day in the coming weeks (where they
> give this board out for free) so it will be interesting to see if
> you get anywhere with this as I will be incorporating my own distro,
> and as such need a fully layered approach.
>
> If you still need me to ask any questions in a couple of weeks I
> will do so for you.

  over the last couple of hours, i've got a lot of it figured out.
i've started (unsurprisingly :-) to document everything here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Arrow_SoCKit

  the web page that suggests there is a separate layer:

http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project

seems pretty clearly incorrect, but if you download the monstrous .bsx
file and install it, then run the install_altera_socfpga_src.sh script
that you get inside that, that produces another directory with
contents:

-rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1547 Mar 27 17:01 altera-init
drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 26  2012 bitbake
drwxrwxr-x 11 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 documentation
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday   545 Oct 26  2012 LICENSE
drwxrwxr-x 21 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta
drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Apr  5 15:20 meta-altera
drwxrwxr-x  4 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-hob
drwxrwxr-x 10 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-linaro
drwxrwxr-x  5 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-skeleton
drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-yocto
drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-yocto-bsp
-rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1531 Oct 31  2012 oe-init-build-env
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday  2038 Oct 31  2012 README
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday 17245 Oct 31  2012 README.hardware
drwxrwxr-x  8 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 scripts

so that's looking a lot more promising. i'm guessing all the content
is there, it's just a bit disorganized. as you can see, there *is* a
meta-altera layer, but it's accompanied by a bunch of other layers
which i suspect could be pruned, so my goal today is to strip out
everything but the minimal meta-altera content and combine it with all
the layers i already have.

  stay tuned ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca