[yocto] Criteria for proposing a host distribution supported

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jul 26 04:28:25 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com>wrote:

> On 26 July 2013 12:10, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, the reference documentation does not write that
> > anywhere what you are claiming here. So you are either incorrect, or I
> need
> > to file a bugreport to fix the documentation.
>
> I'd say it's a fair assumption that when the documentation says
> "supported on FooLinux" we mean "supported on a typical and working
> installation of FooLinux".

Yeah, right, "fair assumption", Typical and working" .... Needless to
mention that is relative without an absolute measure. It is a fair
assumption that there is no "fair assumption" in here as people differ. :)

> > No doubt a common "normal" could be found for Arch as well, which is
> what I
> > have been referring to, in several emails of this thread now. I do not
> see
> > Arch exclusive, respectively.
>
> All Arch needs to be in the supported list is a long-term stable
> release, and someone willing to do the testing.

You cannot test every variation, but that is generic, and not arch
specific. However, what certain other projects do is they test a certain
configuration (or range of that).

You're clearly
> interested in being the latter, so when the former exists please say.

I already said because that is how I opened this thread.

> Via Google I see there's been at least two attempts but nothing has
> actually stuck around.

Well, there was the archserver project for that mean. Chakra was also
freezing the core bits.

Laszlo