[yocto] Criteria for proposing a host distribution supported

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Fri Jul 26 03:34:23 PDT 2013

On 26 July 2013 11:21, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> may I ask if it is acceptable to target Archlinux host (64 bit) supported
> any time soon for a release?

I'm not in any official position within the Yocto project but I do use
Arch so I'm just putting my tuppence (or 2 cents) in here. I don't
think it makes sense to call a rolling-release, compiled from source
and close to bleeding edge distro like Arch (or Gentoo for that
matter) "supported". The sanity check warning when building Poky was
what made me decide to spin up a Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS virtual
machine for doing my important builds as that is a much more stable
distribution. When a new official release of Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora,
etc are released, a Poky build can be tested on that release and the
platform certified as being supported because it's been proven to
correctly build Poky. How often would you have to test Arch Linux when
major package updates can occur on any given day?

Don't get me wrong, I love Arch and use it on my desktop for all
development work. But for builds I want to be known-good, I push them
off to a Ubuntu Server virtual machine.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk