[yocto] possible variations on building bootable SD card for BBB?

Jason Kridner jkridner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 12:36:33 PDT 2013

On Sunday, July 7, 2013, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i'm currently working on (and documenting) the variations for
> building a minimal, bootable SD card for the beaglebone black (BBB)
> for upcoming embedded linux classes, so i'm curious as to what others
> are doing.
>
>   for the last while, i've been using the layers:
>
>   * oe-core (naturally)
>   * meta-oe
>   * meta-beagleboard
>
> with which i could generate all the appropriate artifacts and manually
> populate an SD card.
>
>   recent perusal suggests that i should be using the "official"
> meta-ti layer rather than meta-beagleboard but if i do that and try to
> populate a formatted SD card the same way, i don't even get to the
> u-boot prompt.
>
>   so -- short form of the question -- how many ways are there to build
> a bootable SD card for the BBB using different layers? which are
> recommended? i'm after just enough of a system to act as the basis for
> some classes, so i'm currently building just a core-image-minimal, but
> i'm interested in what others are doing, thanks.

I think different methods would be recommended by different people working
on different goals. I personally have only built using meta-beagleboard
with an Angstrom layer stack, but I understand meta-ti should work as
minimal as you've shown as well as with Arago. There was recently a new TI
SDK release with Black support.